Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Birth Story

Here's the story of the day Sophia arrived.

I had felt regular but very weak contractions for a few hours the night of January 4th. Since I had felt that a few days earlier without any result I didn't make a big deal out of it. So when Memo left for the gym at 6 am (January 5th) I didn't think twice about it.

But only a few minutes after I heard the door close, much stronger contractions started with a 5-6 min frequency.
I got super stressed and scared, especially since Memo was at the gym and did not pick up when I called - 24 times in 2h.
He finally came home, I met him at the door, I guess he was more stressed than I was, because I ran passed me and started taking the things down to the car. He had called the doctor in the car, and we were gonna meet him to check how far gone it was.

Somewhere between 8-9 we met him at "our hospital". At this point I was only 3 cm dilated, but something was completely soft or disappeared. The doctor said there would be a baby before the day was over, or around that time. We decided to meet up again around noon to check how things progressed.
Contractions got a bit stronger, but not that much more frequent.
We got to the hospital and decided to go out to the garden. There we could get fresh air and I could walk around on the grass - it was very nice.
I think we started going inside again around 3-4. I got a room, and laid down to get some rest. This resulted in the contractions almost stopping.
When the doctor came to check how dilated I was, it only was 4 cm. I started loosing faith, since he had told me it should increase by 1cm every 1-2h.
I started walking around like crazy for the contractions to come back, which they did. And around 6 he checked again - 5 cm.
The contractions got stronger, and around 8 we went upstairs to the delivery room.
I was still 5 cm, and my water had not broken, so he made that happen. The contractions got crazy here (which later was explained by her nose pointing down instead of up - not good). I have never felt that pain in my life. I couldn't take it and begged for some anesthesia, and after what felt like hours (but probably was around 30 min) the lady came. She put it in, and the pain got more bearable.
But when the doctor checked a bit later how it progressed I was still at 5 cm, but with MUCH stronger contractions.
After that the time passed faster - probably cus I got to rest.
The pain came back at times, and I got some more epidural.
At 8 cm I had to start pushing, and had to continue doing so for about 2-3h.
It was long, long, long.
Usually you shouldn't push for maybe 30-45 min.
I was exhausted, and had no more force. The doctor kept saying she was almost there, Memo said she was there, but she never came out.
At some point her head was stuck "there" in between contractions, and I think it took around two more for her to come out.
Both the pediatrician and my doctor said they were about to take me away for a c-section.
Luckily not too much damage was done, and both Sophia and I were feeling good (considering) directly after.
It's weird how fast the pain disappears, and also how fast you forget about it.
Sophia was born at 00.15 on January 6th 2012.


We're all happy, and love her so much now. But that was a bad delivery.
Thank you Dr. Mora, the Doula and whoever else was there - and of course Memo, who was there the entire time.

Note: This is how I remember it - it might not be true at all!!! (0:

No comments:

Post a Comment